ph: my own
Part one of my "Let's Talk Breakfast" Sunday series (if you follow me via Twitter / Facebook you knew this was coming.) I wanted to do this series because as some of you may remember I am a nutrition major... the #1 question people ask: what should I eat, how can I lose weight? Eat breakfast. Get your metabolism going and curve your 11:00 AM munchies.
Do you like oatmeal? If you do, you'll really like this quinoa-as-oatmeal recipe. Why did I decide to 'go all hipster' and substitute quinoa for oats? Well, quinoa is a complete protein, gluten-free, filled with iron and fiber. All of the good stuff that most people unconsciously skip throughout the day. Plus it's such a versatile, easy cooking and fairly cheap item to keep in your pantry.
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa (cook according to box instructions)
- skim milk, for texture
- 1 tbsp apple sauce
- honey, to taste
- cinnamon, to taste
- handful of chopped walnuts, optional
- dollap of greek yogurt (I used non-fat vanilla, honey/plain would be good too)
- banana slices + blueberries
- Cook your quinoa according to the box instructions [you can use the red quinoa variation too]; while the quinoa is still hot add in small amounts [tsp at a time] of skim milk + stir until you get an oatmeal-like consistency to your liking.
- Mix in the applesauce, honey and cinnamon.
- Chop your walnuts, sprinkle them into your bowl.
- Add a dollap of greek yogurt, this is for flavor and a creamier consistency.
- Add some fruit, I used banana and blueberries but strawberries/raspberries would be delicious too!
Happy Sunday ♥